THE AFFILIATES GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Demonstrate the love and teachings of Jesus Christ
- Advocate on behalf of those in need of decent shelter
- Focus on shelter by building and renovating simple, decent and affordable homes
- Engage broad community through inclusive leadership and diverse partnerships
- Promote dignity through full partnerships with Habitat homeowners and future home partners
- Promote transformation sustainable community development
HOW HABITAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Habitat for Humanity homes are affordable, safe and healthy places for families to live, grow and thrive. Habitat Michigan can meet physical accessibility needs and are energy efficient –– allowing a cost savings in monthly utility bills.We offer support for education, training, financing, fundraising, and affordable mortgages. This intensive work helps families develop the skills and financial tools to be successful homeowners.
According to a study conducted by Davenport University, the work of Habitat for Humanity has proven to make a real difference in the lives of Habitat partner families:
- 68 percent of families report an increase in their income
- 25 percent of families report better grades in school for their children
- 23 percent of families report less sickness
- 58 percent of families report less family conflict
- 40 percent of families report going on to obtaining additional education.
Habitat for Humanity works! Those who volunteer and support Habitat for Humanity of Michigan and its affiliates are making a real difference in the lives of our citizens.
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY RESTORES
Michigan is home to more than 51 Habitat for Humanity ReStores. These stores are run by affiliates with their primary mission to provide additional funding to support house building goals. ReStores sell everything from building supplies to household goods, at a reduced cost, allowing Habitat another avenue to serve the low-income community.
- Benefit the environment by accepting and selling donated, usable items
- Help keep thousands of pounds of materials from going to landfills
- Accept donated materials from building contractors, manufacturers and the general public and donors receive a tax deduction